Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Chapter 1

Don't be fooled by the calendar.  
There are only as many days in the year as you make use of.  
~Charles Richards

 

1.1

New Years Day. 

The day we all anticipate to unrepentantly start anew. A new chapter. A new life. A new you.

We feed into great marketing strategies in which overtly suggest what our new year's resolution should be.

Exactly a year ago from today, I made contracts with my family members to see who would lose the most weight. We each pledged how much we would pay per pound lost. Well, lets just say I owe my family money. 

Have my goals changed? No. I do intend to eventually lose weight (as I reach for an Oreo). However, there's something about this pressure about creating and keeping resolutions. 

Think about it. A resolution is a firm decision to do or not do something. So we iterate this idea of wanting to do something (or not?) so that's the firm part. But do we really think it through? A plan of sustainability,budgeting, reinforcement? Ehhhh. Not really.

Let's say you beg to differ, you're convinced that THIS is the year in which you're REALLY going to stick to your resolutions because last year was just so awful. By this time your credibility is on the floor. At least mine is. Not only do you have to prove to yourself that you can do it but you have to prove to others that all the other years of noncompliance will not repeat itself this year. 

This year, I didn't make any resolutions. I'm tired of disappointing myself. I'm already a day behind writing this blog so you can only imagine whats that to say of any other firm decisions. What I do know is that my anthem for the year will be Beyonce's "I Was Here."

I propose to learn a lesson everyday. As bad or as good the day is, there must be a disguised moral of my day.

Going into the year, I was pretty miserable. I bought a $200 flashy dress that I envisioned to be worn at a club full of strangers, blasting main stream music and drinking an overpriced Malibu Bay Breeze. Instead I was in my sweatpants with bleach stains, my dog Scott and tuned into Carson Daly. I was by MYSELF on New Years Eve and this loneliness just settled in whilst the tears streamed down my face. However, just a few hours ago I was having dinner at a restaurant alone and texted someone that we should be able to enjoy our own company.

I was being selfish and stereotypical. Who is to say we HAVE to spend New Years surrounded by all the people we love or be in our best garments to welcome the NEW YEAR. What makes the other 364 days less important? Why can't I enjoy my own company without being quickly coined as a loser or stubborn? Or I can be creating a clever way of justifying my plans falling through.

My lesson learned: love thyself and the beauty of spending time with yourself. Face it, you're going to spend more time with yourself than with anyone else in your life (Alex Sanchez said it). Why not dedicate some time to yourself and self reflect? 



No comments:

Post a Comment