Thursday, January 10, 2013

Chapter 10

Time and health are two previous assets that we don't recognize until they have been depleted.
~Denis Waitley



I'm exhausted. Not from working all day but from exercising today. Unintentionally.

It must've been written in the stars for me that today my fitness was to be tested.

I decided to hang my scarf on my bookbag because the day looked warm. Once I stepped outside, walked to the corner, I concluded that it was a little brisk and I should wear my scarf. I go to reach for my scarf and its not there. It must've fallen on the stairs. I proceed to walk back to my building and wished it was on the 1st floor. Now, I live on a 5th floor of a walkup building. Every afternoon, I dread going home because I have to climb those steps. My scarf isn't on the 1st floor or the 2nd or the 3rd or the 4th. It fell right outside my freaking door. I picked it up, shook my head, and chuckled.

After work, I decided to pick up dinner from one of my favorite restaurants. It was just 5 blocks away from my apartment. The hospital is already 15 blocks away from my apartment so 5 blocks is no biggie. On my way there, I received a message that I needed to go back to the hospital for a meeting. By this time, my feet were throbbing and I was pooped so I took a cab back. However, I trekked the walk back home, again. Today I walked 50 blocks. Doesn't seem like a lot but when you're wearing Steve Madden Intyce boots, boy do your feet feel the heat.

In my short lifetime, I have gone through so many exercise regimens. I may just be the most fit, chunkiest person you've met. I've tried Bikram Yoga (hot yoga), Capoiera, spin class, kickboxing, Barry's Bootcamp, Bally's and Lucille Roberts. I've paid for a nutritionist (which was successful for a small amount of time), done the Special K diet, drank only water. You name it, I've probably done it.

This year I've committed to an overall healthier lifestyle. So what if I walked a bunch of extra blocks or went up another set of 5 flight of stairs. This can only benefit me. I've also took up the 30 day green smoothie challenge, something I see myself doing beyond the 30 days because I honestly feel better drinking it.

Working in the hospital, I've witnessed so many regretful faces when they are diagnosed with malignancies or chronic illnesses due to disregard of overall health. We pollute our lungs with smoke, abuse our liver with alcohol, dirty our veins with drug use, clog our arteries with fast food, and never do we think about the consequences. Yea, we shoulda, woulda coulda, but we didn't. It's time we get serious about this borrowed body we have and do good to it because once health is gone, it's gone forever.

Lesson Learned: Don't push back what you can do now. Create small, tangible goals that works towards one large one. Our bodies can only handle but so much abuse until our luck runs out.

No comments:

Post a Comment