Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Chapter 15

In times of great stress or adversity, it's always best to keep busy, 
to plow your anger and your energy into something positive.  
~Lee Iacocca


Something is off and I have no idea what. 

I've been in the ophthalmology clinic for two weeks and it's a pretty relaxed environment. However, I've been feeling this looming stress recently.

So I did what I usually do when I'm stressed: clean. I clean when my anxiety and stress levels are super high. My roommates pointed it out to me some time ago. I would snap at them the day before an exam because they failed to do their chores. Shortly after I take the exam, I would go back to the apartment and got my clean on.

I usually prep myself by playing some bachata and letting the Ajax sit in the bathtub. I scrub every tile and scrutinize every crevice. Once I'm done, I stand at the doorway and admire my work of art. Today, I also wanted to clean my room so I repeated the same procedure. There's something about a clean environment that just feels like a breath of fresh air. 

Speaking of fresh air, yesterday I was really unhappy with how my body felt. I told myself I would go running at 630 am. Let's just say waking up at 730 am felt amazing. However, I wanted to follow through with the promise I made myself. After cleaning my room, I went for a run by the FDR Drive just to clear my mind and get rid of this unknown source of stress.

According to my Nike Run app, today was my longest and farthest run. I also realized I pushed myself to stop as little as possible. Those 2.6 miles went by like nothing and I feel really good (well not entirely because my knees are aching).

Lesson Learned: Often times we carry this unforeseen load of stress that can be triggered by so many different aspects of our lives. As long as we are be able unload the stress and channel that energy into something productive there's nothing wrong with a little bit of "healthy" stress.

No comments:

Post a Comment