Friday, January 18, 2013

Chapter 16


Love overcomes hate. Love has no color
Love has no orientation. All is love.
~Adam Lambert
I had a very interesting conversation with the resident I'm shadowing: our significant others. She asked "Does your family like him?".

That question often makes me cringe while I go through a number of emotions.

My response: "I guess. It's hard to tell because he's Black." She then asks "But aren't there Black people in Dominican Republic?" The million dollar question.

I come from a culture where a racist dictator brainwashed the people of the country for decades that black is ugly. However, I will not solely blame him for the ignorance because people can choose to surpass that. There's a saying that "everyone has Black behind their ears" which means essentially every Dominican has SOME Black in them. We're a country that began with indigenous natives that were colonized by Spaniards that brought in African slaves. Our people are a color spectrum, which is a beautiful thing.

I've been in my relationship for close to seven years. However, to my family the first two years never existed. Yup, I hid my relationship for two years.

I was afraid of the "consequences" of coming out. No one else in my family had dated a Black person and the Dominicans I know don't hide the fact that they don't like Black people. Forget the fact that he comes from a great family and finished grad school, his skin color was of utmost importance. So I was stuck. It wasn't fair to him that I have him hidden but I didn't want to be the "black sheep".

To me biracial couples are one of the greatest products of living in the U.S. Here you are, in a heterogenous country where you can meet the love of your life whose ancestry is halfway around the globe. You don't need to understand their culture or speak their language, all you need is love. Families should be content that you have found a person that loves you for who you are. Despite all the animosity and racist remarks (i.e. going to have little monkey children, better know how to braid hair, I was such a good daughter until this, etc) Aundrée has stuck it out with me because he believes in our love and I can never be more appreciative.

Lesson Learned: Shatter the blinds of ignorance. Don't be afraid to confront people and stand up for what you believe in. Love goes deeper than a hue.


2 comments:

  1. great read, you have a new fan of your blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arth brought me here. This is a good read. Will also +1 and recommend to someone else!

    ReplyDelete